Afrofuturist shorts at the BFI (1/2)
All good films, unusually:
“Hello, Rain” - source of the still on the poster. An impressionistic treatment of a Nnedi Okorafor story in a camp, hyper-colourful style influenced by 70s horror movies. Lots of fun and great costume design.
“Pumzi” - post climate change dystopia. A more elegant take on the clunky eco-dystopias of (again) the 70s, which are due a revival now they’re looking prophetic again.
Afrofuturist shorts at the BFI (2/2)
“This One Went/To Market” - A welcome sendup. “It’s called Afrofuturism and white people like it. Got to get my ‘Africa face’ on. The struggle, and that.”
“Loop Count” - Loops as desire/obsession. Moderately successful. Invokes Vine loops but not in a a way that shows familiarity with Vine culture.
@drcable I live in Tooting, ironically enough.
@ghost_bird wow we're like, three miles apart! hi, internet stranger.
@drcable *waves hello*
We are committed to making Everything.Happens.Horse an inclusive and welcoming pasture for everyone.
We've set these ground rules to make it abundantly clear that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable, so that everyone can feel comfortable grazing in the pasture.
Everyone who visits the pasture is required to abide by this code of conduct, both at the event and on any online channels. We will not tolerate harassment of participants or discriminatory behaviour of any form. Specifically:
- Do not engage in homophobic, racist, transphobic, ableist, sexist, or otherwise prejudiced behaviour.
- Do not harass people. Stalking, unconsented physical contact, or sexual attention is harassment. Dressing or acting in a certain way is not consent.
- Every participant's personal space is their own. If you are asked to leave someone alone, or to leave their corner of the pasture, you must respect this.
- Some attendees may not want their content shared elsewhere. Respect their wishes.
- Aggression and elitism are not welcome — nobody should be afraid to ask questions.
- If you break these rules, we may expel you from the pasture.
If you are being harassed or witness a breach of this code of conduct, p